A bottle of food coloring later I had these lovely Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes. I love baking for 4 year olds because it really takes the pressure off, bright colors and sugar, pretty much seal the deal. Because I have a handful of food allergies in class these are basic vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. Also, since inspiration hit when I was almost out of flour I adapted a vanilla cake mix to make it actually worth eating.
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- *red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350. Line one regular sized 12 cupcake pan with cupcake holders.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, sour cream, and vegetable oil.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and add in vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Fill each liner about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for approx 14 minutes. When done, insert toothpick if it comes out clean they're done!
- Makes approx 18 cupcakes.
*If making red cupcakes add in almost one bottle of food coloring after step #3
- 2 lbs. Confectioner's Sugar (This is usually 1 bag)
- 3 sticks unsalted, softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- *blue food coloring
- Put about 1/4 of the sugar in a large bowl with the butter. Begin beating until combined. (Careful not to inhale all the powdered sugar in the air!)
- Incrementally, add in the rest of the sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Frosting should be stiff but still spreadable.
*If making blue frosting add in after step #2